Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Freedom Awards: Celebrating Anti-Slavery Heroes

An angry brothel owner gouged out Pross Long's eye with a stick. Sina's tender support is helping her regain her self esteem. "I was dead, and now I have a new life," Pross says. "I can go to school. And my parents love me. I’m very happy, very excited. I never expected that."
October 13, 2009
By Peggy Callahan
Huffington Post

How can something so disturbing, so dark, look so ordinary to the untrained eye? They could be young girls hanging out on a warm evening anywhere. But they're not -- they are sex slaves in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. My guide knew this better than anyone. Until a few years ago, she was one of them.
Twelve years ago, Sina Vann was forced to have sex with 20 to 30 men a night. Tonight, Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher are presenting her with an award for her heroism in freeing others from sex slavery.
Incredibly, after escaping the hell of daily serial rape, Sina chose to go back and confront human traffickers like the one who enslaved her and fed his greed with her life. She told me, "If I didn't service customers I would be locked in the dungeon. They would tie my hands and tie my feet. And they would splash water over me, and they would shock me. When I was shocked, I felt like my spirit just left me."

No comments: