ABC Radio Australia
Cambodia's opposition has accused the government of undermining the country's monarch and of meddling in Thai politics, after the spying conviction of a Thai man was overturned.
Last week a 31-year-old Thai national was jailed for seven years for tipping off Phnom Penh's Thai embassy about the former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's visit to Cambodia. Three days later the Cambodian king granted Siwarak Chothipong a royal pardon - a move that's outraged the opposition.
Presenter: Liam Cochrane
Speakers: Siwarak Chothipong, released Thai citizen; Koy Kuorn, spokesman, Cambodian Foreign Ministry; Son Chhay, opposition politician
Listen: Windows Media
COCHRANE: It was a swift and sweet release for Thai national Siwarak Chothipong.
SIWARAK CHOTHIPONG: I feel very happy that I have the freedom again.
REPORTER: Did you say anything to Premier Hun Sen?'
SIWARAK CHOTHIPONG: Yes, I really appreciate his [Hun Sen's] kindness and help me and let me go out. And I very very appreciate for the kindness of your highness, his majesty of the kingdom of Cambodia that have given me a chance to go back home."
COCHRANE: Koy Kuorn, spokesman for Cambodia's Foreign Ministry, says the Thai man is a small player in a wider game.
KOY KUORN: The former Thai spy is the victim of the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh, because he was ordered by the Thai embassy to do the espionage. And normally embassy receives the order from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the government.
No comments:
Post a Comment