Chov Sotheara (red and white) of Cambodia wrestles Sayamone Keovilaysone of Laos in the women’s 45kg wrestling final at the SEA Games in Laos. (AFP VIENTIANE)By UNG CHANMROEUN
The Phnom Penh Post
The 26-year-old becomes Cambodia’s first-ever wrestler to win a gold medal at the SEA Games
THE Kingdom registered its third Southeast Asian Games gold medal Wednesday, and its first ever in wrestling, when Chov Sotheara (picture) won the 45 kilogram women’s category after beating Laotian Saysamon Keovilyson and Filipino Maribel Jambora. “I’m so proud of myself to be a gold medal winner,” said Chov Sotheara. “Thanks for everyone, coaches, family. Now I’ve realised my dream.... [I’m] very happy.”Meanwhile, Cambodia’s Try Sothavy won silver in women’s 51-55kg, while compatriot Chey Chanreaksmey claimed bronze in women’s 48-51kg. Try Sothavy was despondant after losing her last bout against Thailand’s Darunee Ora-In. “In the final round, I had a great start against Thai opponent,” she said through tears. “But so sad that I lost the chance [to win] in the last minute.”
No comments:
Post a Comment