By Oliver Kamm
Times Online (blog)
I linked this week to Andrew Anthony's salutary article from The Observer on Malcolm Caldwell, a Scottish Marxist academic and enthusiast for the regime of Pol Pot. My thanks go to a couple of commenters for pointing out published articles I wasn't aware of.
Shortly before his murder in Cambodia, Caldwell reviewed a book by George Hildebrand and Gareth Porter called Cambodia: Starvation and Revolution, published in 1976. It's a repugnant book that systematically denied the accumulated evidence of Khmer Rouge atrocities. Caldwell predictably wrote in the far-left magazine Race and Class (not online, as far as I know):
Please click here to read more..."This brief but powerfully argued and moving book deserves the warmest of welcomes. No revolution in history has had so much calumny heaped upon it as Kampuchea (Cambodia) since its liberation in April 1975. It excited Bernard Levin (The Times, 2 February 1977) to some of his most malicious sneers and barbs.... What lies behind this orchestration of hate and fear?"
No comments:
Post a Comment