Markus Zimmer, former clerk of the state court of Utah now spends much of his time overseas consulting with nations that are trying to build and improve their courts systems. He recently returned from a stint in Cambodia where he was helping with United Nations war crimes tribunals.By Matthew D. LaPlante
The Salt Lake Tribune
Sath Prum was just a boy when the Khmer Rouge came to take away his father. But he was old enough to know that he would never see his dad again.
“I knew that they would execute him,” Prum said. “They tied him up and put a blindfold on him. I didn’t know where they were going to take him. I didn’t know how it would be done. I just knew that he would be killed.”
Prum’s sister, two brothers and a brother-in-law were also killed during Pol Pot’s four-year reign of terror in Cambodia, when about 1.7 million people died of hunger, disease and execution.
No comments:
Post a Comment