Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Outrage as Cambodian Holocaust Killer Gets 19 Years


Terence Neilan, Contributor

"We can't accept a sentence where it is conceivable that he could walk even for one minute in society" - Theary Seng, a founder of the Cambodian Center for Justice and Reconciliation
AOL News (July 26) -- The man who ran a prison and torture center for the Khmer Rouge where more than 15,000 people were killed was convicted today in Cambodia of war crimes and crimes against humanity. But his 19-year prison sentence was met with tears, outrage and disbelief by survivors.

"I felt it was a slap in the face," said Bou Beng, 69, according to The New York Times. He testified about his torture at the trial of Kaing Guek Eav, better known as Duch.

"He tricked everybody," said Chum Mey, 79, another survivor of the Tuol Sleng prison. "I feel like I was a victim under the Khmer Rouge, and now I'm a victim again."
Please click here to read more...

No comments: