Saturday, February 12, 2011

Impressions of a 9-year-old at the border

12/02/2011
Arglit Boonyai
Bangkok Post

Hello, my name is Buk Kum. I am 9 years old and live in Kantharalak district of Si Sa Ket province.

Sorry, my Thai is not very good but I still like to call myself a Thai person, even though sometimes people from Bangkok laugh at my accent. I don't mind. I think Thailand is a nice place.

Living in this part of Thailand is very scary right now. There are lots of soldiers and guns and I can't even go to school because a bomb landed on it and now it is all blown up and stuff. I don't even have any new clothes to wear because some bombs fell near my house. It happened so quickly that I couldn't even get fresh clothes.

Now I have to stay in a tent with my mum, dad and two sisters.

I think all the fighting is very confusing. I don't really understand why this has to happen. I hear all the puyai talking about the situation. They say that we must be patriotic and fight for ownership of a temple called Phra Viharn. I just want to go back to school and play with my friends.

I heard mummy talking about the yellow-shirt people. She said that they are bad because they like to cause trouble. She said they are the ones who stirred up the Cambodians and made them attack us.

They want to be the owners of Phra Viharn Temple or something, but mummy said because they started the fighting, no one can go there now. It doesn't matter who the temple belongs to; at least if there is no fighting everyone can visit it.

I don't agree with mummy, though. I think the yellow-shirt people are nice. They want Thailand to be strong and not give in to the Cambodians. The Cambodians are weaker than us so they should do what we say. I thought that killing was bad, but shooting Cambodians over land is okay, right? Well, that's what I think. But mummy said that I was foolish for thinking that.
Please click here to read more...

No comments: