Monday, February 21, 2011

Libyan forces kill dozens, Muslim leaders urge end to “massacre”

Muammar+Gaddafi+%2528Reuters%2529.jpg
Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi attends a ceremony marking the birth of Islam’s Prophet Mohammed in Tripoli February 13, 2011. Palestinian refugees should capitalise on the wave of popular revolts in the Middle East by massing peacefully on the borders of Israel until it gives in to their demands, Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi said on Sunday. Credit: Reuters/Ismail Zitouny

Sat Feb 19, 2011

TRIPOLI (Reuters) – Libya forces have killed dozens of protesters in the eastern city of Benghazi in the latest violence to threaten Muammar Gaddafi’s authority, with national Muslim leaders appealing for an end to the growing death toll.

Before the latest reports of deaths, Human Rights Watch said 84 people had been killed over three days in a fierce security crackdown mounted in response to anti-government protests that seek to emulate uprisings in neighboring Egypt and Tunisia.

Britain’s Independent Sunday said the body count in Benghazi may be as high as 200.

“Dozens were killed … not 15, dozens. We are in the midst of a massacre here,” a witness told Al Jazeera television. The man said he helped take the victims to hospital in Benghazi, Libya’s second city.

Please click here to read more...

No comments: