February 2, 2011
By A. Gaffar Peang-Meth
PACIFIC DAILY NEWS
I learn from the words and wisdom of people who have walked paths I have never experienced. As a reminder to myself, I have tacked a note near my home workstation: "Don't compare your life with others.' You have no idea what their journey is all about."
The great Chinese teacher Confucius said if you want product in a year, grow grain; in 10 years, grow trees; in 100 years, grow people. Educate them to become intellectually and socially able citizens to play roles in society, the economy and the government to propel the country forward and better humankind.
Able citizens are the central core that moves a country forward. In a democracy, leaders are drawn from the citizenry. A French founding father of the European Union, Jean Monnet, said, "Nothing is possible without men; nothing is lasting without institutions."
So grow the best of men and women. They will have the capacity to create institutions that are lasting.
No comments:
Post a Comment