Sophinarath Cheang, VOA Khmer
Long Beach, California Wednesday, 11 May 2011
“And now that I know the court has accepted all the complaints, I’m happier than ever.”
Distance is perhaps one barrier that prevents US-Cambodian survivors of the Khmer Rouge from participating in UN-backed trials underway in Phnom Penh. But that did not stop Chanthorn Pech or Roath Prom from becoming participants in the tribunal’s next case—002—an atrocity trial for four jailed Khmer Rouge leaders.
The two women and 168 other Cambodians survivors in the US have filed complaints with the tribunal. And many here say they want the court to prosecute as many trials as possible.
“I was forced to work like an ox,” Roath Prom told a group of people gathered at a forum in Long Beach last month organized through the Applied Social Research Institute of Cambodia. “I was forced to crawl like a cow.” She had to hoe in the water and mud until muck filled her ears, leading to an inflammation, she said. “There was no medication. The disease remained with me until I reached the US.”
No comments:
Post a Comment