Friday, July 31, 2009

A changing of the editorial guard

Friday, 31 July 2009
By Michael Hayes
The Phnom Penh Post

In the jungle: a fatigued editor-in-chief during a kouprey hunt in Mondulkiri province in March 1994. Photo by: Michael Hayes

The Post's founder remembers what made the newspaper great - and what will keep it so.
TODAY is my last day as The Phnom Penh Post's editor-in-chief, a position that I have held now for 17 years and 21 days since the first issue of the Post was published on July 10, 1992.
I had actually decided on my title six months earlier and put it on business cards after my older brother Jack explained what the choices were when I was in the process of setting up the paper. I didn't have a clue myself, so he explained the options.
I remember asking him: "Hey Jack, you studied journalism. What should I call myself? Chairman or president or ... what?" Demonstrating the deep affection only a guy can have for his kid brother, he replied: "You numbskull! What are you - a complete moron? You'll be publisher of course, and then if you want to control the content you should be editor-in-chief as well."
There was a lot to be learned in those early days.

No comments: