Friday, July 31, 2009

Platform 2010: A Voice Against Violence

July 31, 2009
By Matt Reichel
OpEdNews

I intentionally started my campaign for the U.S. House in Illinois's 5th District early so as to address some of the deficiencies from my effort earlier this year. My friends, volunteers, supporters and dissuaders have given sharp praise in some domains and offered prescient criticism in others. For both, I am deeply grateful.
::::::::
Among the praise I have received are compliments on my ability to articulate my message elegantly and understandably, to not waver or panic in front of a microphone or television camera, and to stand firm on the issues that mean most to me. I have also been told that I have broad appeal for someone who is unequivocally to the left, as is attested by my concerted effort to reach out to anti-war conservatives, for example.
The criticisms I have received are that often I can come off as too negative or angry. In reviewing video and images from the campaign earlier this year, I must admit that I have given off a negative aura on several occasions. I whole-heartedly agree that it is important that I don't allow my valid criticisms of mainstream politics affect my personal demeanor: that I don't let my anger at greedy bankers affect my overall composure.
Another criticism is that I get too caught up in the individual issues and fail to package them into a coherent vision for the future of this country. In this realm, I must admit that I too often assume that people know where I am coming from. Many activists in my midst have read many of the same authors and tend to get their news from similar sources and have generally supported similar candidates and political movements. However, in running for Congress, it is necessary that I reach outside of my base and appeal to the vast majority of Americans who are not political junkies.
Rather than merely trash mainstream politicians for being shills for banks, insurance companies and military contractors, I should explain precisely what sets me apart, and what values I will espouse as an elected member of Congress:

No comments: