Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Court refuses to delay Sam Rainsy hearing

Tuesday, 29 December 2009
By Meas Sokchea
The Phnom Penh Post

THE Svay Rieng provincial court has denied a request to delay hearings against Sam Rainsy in a case that finds him accused of destruction of property and racial incitement in connection with a protest on the Vietnamese border, the opposition leader’s lawyer said Monday.
“I requested that the court postpone my client’s hearing because he is currently working abroad. I wrote a letter to the court president, but my request was dismissed,” Choung Chou Ngy, Sam Rainsy’s lawyer, said. “The court said that my request lacked a proper justification.”
The court has yet to schedule a hearing in the case, Choung Chou Ngy added. Sam Rainsy is in Europe, having met with the European Parliament in Belgium and the Inter-Parliamentary Union in Switzerland last month.

No comments: