Wednesday, March 31, 2010

To foster change, change yourself

March 31, 2010
By A. Gaffar Peang-Meth
Pacific Daily News

An inscription on the tomb of an Anglican bishop in Westminster Abbey describes a man on his deathbed reflecting on his life's voyage: When he was "young and free" with limitless imagination, he dreamed of changing the world, but the world would not change. He decided then to change the country; but the country was immovable. So, in his "last desperate attempt" he worked to change those closest to him, his family; but the family "would have none of it."
On his deathbed, the man realized: "If only I had changed myself first, then by example I would have changed my family. From their inspiration and encouragement, I would then have been able to better my country, and who knows, I might have changed the world."
Indeed, change begins with each of us. Look into the mirror. Change begins with the one who stares back at you!
"Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean," writes Japanese author and poet Ryunosuke Satoro.

No comments: